P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index P31 Discussion Boards
Bulletin boards on subjects related to the Pearson 31

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1978 P 31 -1 Running Back Stays Placement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Deck, Spars and Rigging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jubilee5000

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: 1978 P 31 -1 Running Back Stays Placement Reply with quote

I have tried placing at the back of the gunnel, but the stays interfere with the back stay, not able to get around back stay. It seems to me that the running back has to be tensioned then released every time to tack the boat. This becomes difficult due to the room in the cockpit, and interference with the helm. Is there a spring mechanism that can pull the running back up towards the shrouds when released? Any ideas will be appreciated.
I have not used them, I have tied to the outer shroud to get them out of the way, but would like to use them next season. Any recommedations on thier placement and use wil be appreciated.
Boomer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Running Backs Reply with quote

Jubilee...I am a new 1978 owner, New Years Day 2006. Mine does not have running backs. but I race aboard a NY36 which does and I know how to slove your problem.

I am intersted in knowing why yours has and mine does not have running backs.

Boomer
Jubilee5000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Running backs Reply with quote

Hi Boomer, I am not sure why your P31 does not have running backs. Perhaps there were racing models and cruising models. I noticed some have genoa tracks on the deck, where others do not. I only have one set of tracks, but others have two, and they appear to be original.

The running backs may also have been removed by the previous owner, as my above e-mail suggests, they can be difficlut to use, and most people do not realize the benefit that they can provide, especially when racing. Any comment or suggestions you have would be appreciated.
Boomer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Running Backs Reply with quote

Jubilee, I would love to see some digital pics of your running backs. I think I know what help you are asking for but a picture would help.

Do you have lazy jacks installed..if so I could use a picture of them too.

Boomer
Jubilee5000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Running backs Reply with quote

Hi Boomer, on the owners list on this website there is a picture, I am hull 56 boat name Andiamo. You will see the lazy jacks in front of the main sail and the location of the running backs. They may be difficult to see, they are tied to the shrouds in this picture. I have some more close up pictures for you once I figure out how to post them.
Boomer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Running Backs Reply with quote

Jubilee, I went and looked and yes kind of hard to see. Instead of posting pics if you want you can email me direct. boomer52@ cox.net take out the spaces. I have hull # 52!

If you don't mind I am likely to ask many questions...to get my gal back to the configuration she should be in. the Lazy jack picture I need is of what ever kind of fitting the lazy jack goes through right in front of the Main Sheet.

Another question is this. On my mast there are two through mast holes on each side for running rigging. What do you have rigged where. My port lower one has nothing.

And yet another...on the aft end of my boom...on each side there is block. any Idea what they are for? My boom has a label "schaefer spars" makes me wonder if the boom is original.

Boomer
Boomer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Boom aft end blocks Reply with quote

Ok guys I figured out today what the two blocks are for on each side of the aft end of my boom. After reading some posts on this site about stiff performance I went out and looked at her again.

The are for the reefing system. Nice setup actually. However I have no line in mine so I'll have to put some in. If I am wrong someone tell me.

Boomer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Deck, Spars and Rigging All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: