P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index P31 Discussion Boards
Bulletin boards on subjects related to the Pearson 31

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deck Moisture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Deck, Spars and Rigging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCMike80

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Deck Moisture Reply with quote

Hi folks, I have another question regarding a P31 I'm considering buying, so any input would be greatly appreciated. I received a copy of a pre-listing inspection that was done and it cited:

"high moisture was detected throughout most of the side decks using a moisture meter on scale one, readings ranged between 80 and 100% through most of the side decks"

The report also goes on to mention other instances of high or elevated moisture readings around various pieces of deck hardware. There was also some "core deterioration" around an amidship cleat and some stanchions. The deck around the cleat is bad enough that it is going to be repaired.

My question is how typical are "high" moisture levels, what will this mean going forward for repairs or potential failures? Any specific reccomendations or general advice regarding deck moisture would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Mike
mbergelson

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Not sure if you ended up buying or not. I'll tell you that my boat has the same problem with moisture in the deck. It seems that the water seeps in around the toe rails, from what I've been told.

There isn't moisture anywhere except around the toe rails, starting about a third the way back from the bow.

I had my boat surveyed a few years back and the surveyor suggested I rebed the toe rails and the stanchions.

Cheers,

M.
P31-II #98
ddoles

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished replacing and rebedding all my stanchions. Mine is a 1990 P31 II and I believe the stanchion bedding was all original. I drilled out all of the mounting holes with a 3/4" bit and so had access and a good view of the core. I can confirm there was definitely moisture and some rotted core. I dug out the core about 2" all around each mounting hole, dried thoroughly and filled with epoxy compound before redrilling the mounting holes. I then rebedded with a silicone sealant. I believe this will prevent any future water penetration through the stanchions. If anyone has any questions on this job, let me know.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Deck, Spars and Rigging All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: