P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index P31 Discussion Boards
Bulletin boards on subjects related to the Pearson 31

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roller furling maintenance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Deck, Spars and Rigging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbergelson

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Roller furling maintenance Reply with quote

Any advice on maintaining a Harken roller furler? I've had good performance out of it thus far, but it's starting to squeak.

I recently saw the price tag on a new one -- needless to say I'd like to take some preventative measures to avoid a replacement.
Bruce/Linda Lawton

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Roller furling maintenance Reply with quote

mbergelson wrote:
Any advice on maintaining a Harken roller furler? I've had good performance out of it thus far, but it's starting to squeak.

I recently saw the price tag on a new one -- needless to say I'd like to take some preventative measures to avoid a replacement.

I've owned a Pearson 31 II since 1992 and personally knew the owner who bought it new, hull #145. It came new with the Harken roller furling system in 1989 and it has proved to be one of the most reliable pieces of equipment on the boat. The only owner maintenance I have performed on the furler over the years it is to thoroughly wash it every time I wash the boat, which is almost every time I use the boat. The one time I noticed it squeaking a couple of years ago was when I had the geneoa halyard too tight, it was a little tight and difficult to turn the drum when both deploying and furling. After loosening the halyard a tad the drum rotation eased and the squeking stopped.
Several years ago I talked with the Harken people regarding some repair parts for a traveller, I found their Tech Service people to be exceptional. Why don't you call them, I suspect there might be some alternatives to replacement, maybe some kind of rebuild kit and replacement of those Derlin bearings?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Deck, Spars and Rigging All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: