P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index P31 Discussion Boards
Bulletin boards on subjects related to the Pearson 31

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

spinnaker lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Deck, Spars and Rigging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anchor Management

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: spinnaker lines Reply with quote

I have been trying to figure out where the topping lift and down haul are supposed to be located for the spinnaker. I went to the top of the mast this weekend and it looks like there are some pulleys that will allow for another line but it seems like a long way to come down for the topping lift. Plus I didn't see where the line would exit the mast?

Does anybody have any experience with this?
Hull #42
paradigm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your mast isomat you will need to have a gallows installed at the masthead. Kevin Hayes of Hayes Rigging Seabrook tx installed mine

Bucky Feiner
slip at both Bridge Harbor and Legend Point
P31 159
ddoles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1990 P-31 seems to be rigged for a spinnaker, but when I bought it (used) there was actually no spinnaker. So I don't exactly know that everything is rigged correctly but I can tell you what I've got. The line that I believe is the topping lift exits the mast not from the top, but rather from a point about midway up the mast. There is another halyard exiting the top of the mast forward (aside from the jib halyard). This I'm guessing is the spinnaker halyard. There is a padeye mounted on the deck just aft of the anchor locker that I think is for the downhaul. When I bought it there was a sizeable block attached to this padeye with a snap shackle. I think I have a hand drawn schematic of the spinnaker gear from when it was installed. Let me know if you would like me to try to get you any more info from this.
Anchor Management

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the "topping lift" actually come down from the top of the mast or does it really come out of the mast? If it comes out of the mast I don't think I really want to put a whole in mine. I will have to come up with something else.

Thanks
Hull #42
ddoles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it comes out from the mast, not the top. I was not down to the boat this week, but checked some photos and the line exits the mast just below the upper spreaders. I understand your reluctance to put holes in the mast. Although mine seems to not have caused any problems. If you're interested in more details, I can check things out more closely and tell you what I can, maybe along with some photos. In any case, good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Deck, Spars and Rigging All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: