P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index P31 Discussion Boards
Bulletin boards on subjects related to the Pearson 31

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air Conditioning - Location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Electrical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sabur

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Air Conditioning - Location Reply with quote

I just purchased hull #48 and am considering having A/C (Cruisair/Marineair) installed. I am thinking of locating it in the starboard settee compartment just aft of the head and nearest the centerline of the boat. The measurements indicate that the height of the A/C unit might be a problem.

Has anyone installed an A/C unit in that location (or any other)? And what size?

I am a little concerned about noise/vibration. How loud are they?

Thanks
Pearson 31-2 #48
Dferr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a 1989 P-31. It has AC installed in that same location you spoke of. I'm not sure what size or type of unit it is, but I have all the paper work at home. I'll be going to the boat this weekend. I'll take some digital pictures if you would like.

Don
Sabur

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Don. That would be great.
Pearson 31-2 #48
Chuck1421

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a Mermaid Marine Air unit in our hull#103 last year. This is my second MMair unit and am very happy. As to the noise, you will just have to live with it. It's better than the heat! I found that many manufacturers' listed measurements were not exact, so be careful. I ended up using the 9000 BTU model. The 12K would have been better, but just would not fit. 9K BTU is marginal during the day, but will freeze you at night. Another benifit of the smaller unit; it easly runs through the night on a portable honda e2000i generator! Some disasembley of the wood work was needed and very tight otherwise, but it all works great. I made a sump box similar to a small shower sump with float switch and check valve, and tied it into the shower grey water line. No condensate in the bilge! No room for ducting. Return air on one side (asile) and discharge blowing rearward. The lack of ducting is the real noise source, but less restriction = better flow/efficiency. The folks at MMair in Ft. Myers are great and very helpful. Good luck, Chuck Fremaux
Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: