P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index P31 Discussion Boards
Bulletin boards on subjects related to the Pearson 31

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stiff or tender

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chamiller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: stiff or tender Reply with quote

I have purchased a Pearson 31-2 (1988), and I am wondering if the boat is stiff or tender.

Sugar Mountain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Stiff or Tender Reply with quote

A bunch of sails on Winnipausawkee with variable, often stiff winds have never put my rail in the water. This is with the full 6' draft - wing keels are likely very different.

Always a relative thing, but this boat has beam and freeboard result in a good ride - easy to lean but tough to push over. If I had to pick one - I'd pick stiff.
dmurraymaine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree abouth the stiff comment. Can't get the rail in no matter how hard I've tried. The rig depowers readily at angles of heel over 15-20 degrees. That said you'll get better performance if you keep her on her feet. When the breeze gets up to 15 ks or so if you have the jiffy reefing system its really easy to take a single tuck in the main and leave the whole 130% jib up. Adjust the amount of jib you are flying until you hit an optimimum spot. I find the boat rides much easier and goes faster with a bit less sail and a more level ride.

Margarita
Hull #49
Sugar Mountain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, rail has gotten wet since. Maybe about 15 - 18 mph full sails. Followed by a round-up! My wife has never forgotten it ...
dmurraymaine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it up and you will be single handing!
lweiner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Stiff or tender Reply with quote

I have an 89--first season. She is definitely not tender, but I don't feel she is particularly stiff. She responds very well to playing the traveler. Tracks well in a good breeze. Seems to be an extra moment of time between heavy weather helm and the threat of rounding up so there is time to make or yell for a traveler adjustment.
lweiner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Stiff or tender Reply with quote

I have an 89--first season. She is definitely not tender, but I don't feel she is particularly stiff. She responds very well to playing the traveler. Tracks well in a good breeze. Seems to be an extra moment of time between heavy weather helm and the threat of rounding up so there is time to make or yell for a traveler adjustment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Hull All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: