P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index P31 Discussion Boards
Bulletin boards on subjects related to the Pearson 31

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bilge pump: redirect water output

Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Head, Septic System and Bilge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RALPH RUNABOUT

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Bilge pump: redirect water output Reply with quote

Installed an electric bilge pump mid ships under floor boards. Need to know best way to direct output hosing to a stern fitting. Any ideas about best way to get the flexhose to the stern. Looks like the shortest route is under the sink then into the lazerrette (sp?) and to the stern from there. Not certain about the best way to start the hosing run from center bilge location to below sink. Can I safely cut hole through the molded floor support strut or not???
Paul Stockmann

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Automatic Bilge installation for 1987 P31-2 Reply with quote

Automatic Bilge installation for 1987 P31-2

1. Remove Manual bilge pump strainer pickup head located in third well aft of mast
2. Pull 1 hose back to fourth well aft of mast, trim hose reconnect pickup head
3. Snake new automatic bilge discharge hose into the 2 hole that was used for the manual pump hose is feed to the port side and comes up under the galley sink. Then follow the water lines to the hot water heater. Then come up close to the port side scupper drain hose. Cut the drain hose 12 from the top and install a tee with a street ell pointing up. When connecting the new discharge hose make sure you have a loop at the top.
4. Wiring - there are a few routes that can be taken I went forward followed the ground wire to the starboard settee removed the pullout and the cover and followed the instrument ( speedo &depth ) wires to the main panel.

Hope this helps Very Happy

Paul Stockmann
S/V Odyssey
P31-2 # 67
RALPH RUNABOUT

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Bilge pump redirect water output Reply with quote

Paul
Great solution! We'll tease it out on the boat...it's probably the only way to get that hose to the stern.
RR
mbergelson

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Bilge pump sizing Reply with quote

Paul,

What size bilge pump are you using? I've read in books that a 30+ foot boat should have well more than I've got -- they've said I should have north of 3,000 GPH.

I have a Rulemate 1100.

Cheers,

Mike.
Paul Stockmann

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I used an 800 GPH Rule. It not ment for a catastrofic hull failure. It's ment to be a gardian while I'm not on board. I'm not sure what the manual pump is rated for. But when all else fails. I have insurance Laughing
Did you get my message about the 3hp yamaha?
billC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Picture of connection of bilge pump to drain installation. Reply with quote

After reading some of this, I realized that my bilge pump was not in the original plan for the P31-2. l suspect that it was installed by the factory though. I have a picture of the connection to the drain through hull fitting that is next to the trash bin door in the lazerett if anyone is interested.

For picture, contact me at billosail@aol.com and be sure to put P31 in the subject so that I don't delete it without reading it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Head, Septic System and Bilge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: