P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index P31 Discussion Boards
Bulletin boards on subjects related to the Pearson 31

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lifeline fittings replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Deck, Spars and Rigging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amos

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Lifeline fittings replacement Reply with quote

Has anyone replaced their lifelines or lifeline fittings? I would like to know what fittings were installed and why they were chosen. The tubular pelican hooks on my lifelines have been inadvertantly popped open several times. I would like to replace them something more reliable.
billC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has 3 different types. On the Starboard side they have a pull pin and I have had them pop open if they don't fully seat when closed. The Port side has a threaded ring that must be turned to cover the end of the opening part plus a spring loaded loop that catches the opening part. At the stern there is one with a threaded ring but without the spring loaded loop. I am not too crazy about it because the threaded ring doesn't cover much of the opening part when it is in the closed position.

I have been thinking of replacing them all with the Wichard over center type. It is down on my list though. The type with the safety loop are probably the best on my boat and they get the least use.

Bill C
amos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
Thanks for the info. I am not sure exactly what kinds of parts you are describing, sounds like some kind of shackles, but the jist is that you are not very happy with them sounds like.
I too am considering the over the center type of snap shackle. The nice ones from CS Johnson are $41 ea at boat/us, a bit expensive for me. Also considering the safe-lock gate hook, much cheaper at $17 and maybe more reliable, but a bit more cumbersome to use.
Bill
'Capella', Pearson 31-II #128
Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Deck, Spars and Rigging All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: