P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index P31 Discussion Boards
Bulletin boards on subjects related to the Pearson 31

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cutlass Bearing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Engine, Transmission and Fuel System
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmurraymaine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: cutlass Bearing Reply with quote

Has anyone replaced the cutlass bearing? I'm wondering if the shaft can be removed from a P31-2 without dropping the rudder... again! I did it two yearsa ago to replace the rudder bearings and it was such a total hassle (digging a hole etc.) that I'm desperately hoping I won't have to do it again. I'm replacing all four of the motor mounts since one broke and I figure I might as well do the bearing since I've got the shaft uncoupled. any advice?
bluemoon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my cutlass bearing replaced last year. The yard did not have to take off the rudder. There was a pretty good scrape in it though in order for them to get it out. I think it is a pretty tight fit.
Bob
jackdunham

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the cutlass bearing on my 1987 P31-2 last year without removing the rudder but after removing the shaft the bearing could not be removed, this required removing the strut and taking to a machine shop. In order to remove the strut the fuel tank has to to be lifted to access the strut bolt nuts, a major and time cosuming undertaking, do everything you can to remove bearing without removing strut. When replacing the engine mounts put them on a drill press and elongate the mounting bolt holes, this makes engine alignment much easier as the engine can be finely tuned to align. Good luck, Jack D.
dmurraymaine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Looks like its doable!
Michael Trant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: 31-2 Cutlass Bearing and shaft removal Reply with quote

Just wanted to let other owners of 31-2 boats know that the shaft can be removed without dropping the rudder. I purchased a Strut-pro cutlass bearing removal tool which allowed me to remove the cutlass bearing with the shaft in place. Once the cutlass bearing was out, the shaft slid by the rudder with plenty of room to spare. I have a 31-2 deep keel boat. I have a 1" shaft and the OD of the cutlass bearing is 1 and 3/8". It is 4" long. My shaft was 42" long. I ended up having to drill out the cutlass bearing set screws. I will retap and use the next size up.

Without removing the cutlass bearing, I think the stress put on the shaft to force it past the rudder would have been too much for the system including the skeg. I elected for the what I believe was a safe solution and removed the cutlass bearing. The install will require the same procedure. The shaft needs to be in place before the cutlass bearing is pressed in. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Engine, Transmission and Fuel System All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: