P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index P31 Discussion Boards
Bulletin boards on subjects related to the Pearson 31

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FUEL TANK REMOVAL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Engine, Transmission and Fuel System
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paradigm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: FUEL TANK REMOVAL Reply with quote

I'M REPLACING MY FUEL TANK. HAS ANYONE REMOVED THE OLD TANK;I'M HAVING TROUBLE GETTING IT OUT. I HAVE REMOVED ALL THE SCREWS HOLDING THE PANNEL THAT SEPARATES THE Q BERTH FRON THE COCKPIT LOCKER. i AM TRYING TO REMOVE THIS PANNEL BY MOVEING THE BOTTOM TOWARD THE Q BERTH BUT IT WILL ONLLY MOVE ABOUT 3 INCHES. I'M BEGINNING TO THINK THE BOAT WAS ASSEMBLED BY A MAKER OF WOODEN CHINESE PUZZLES. I' M LOOKING FOR A HINT AS THOW TO PROCEED.
FOR ANYONE INTERESTED THE REPLACEMENT TANK IS AVAILABLE FROM RDS MANUFACTURING, PERRY FLA. FOR $275 SHIPPING NOT INCLUDED.
TANK MODEL # 356-18A-AF
paradigm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to remove a fuel tank from a pearson 31-ll
Notes: tools needed Very large screw driver or pry bar, duct tape, electric screw driver, usual wrenches and boat tools. Is NOT necessary to completely remove the partition between the qtr berth and cockpit locker. To do this would probably require water lift, heater hoses and exhaust hose removal.tank removal is a one person job but
Help is always appreciated!

1) remove the fuel gage and pump tank empty thru the opening. Replace gaguge or tape over with duct tape (the replacement tank come with electric sender installed)

2) Remove fuel line at Racor and plug ends (wood dowels)

3) Place bucket under racor and remove and drop Racor from tank and drop into bucket

4) Disconnect return line from tank and plug.

5) Remove Aluminum angle that is fastened to the partition between the Qtr berth and cockpit locker. (the one that support the board (already removed) over the tank.

6) From the cockpit locker, remove Uunscrew those ridiculus tank try down straps and remove ALL fastening screw in the partition including the one holding the ½ X ½ corner strip at the forward end attached to the bulkhead.. Unscrew everything attached to the partition, exhaust hose,wireing, fill hose etc. Remove fill and overflow hoses from tank and block ports with duct tape.

7) (The tricky part) From the qtr berth spray with silicone grease (did I forget that in tools needed?) the forward bulkhead at the bulkhead partition interface. Also spray liberally the bottom aft end of the partition where it fits into a slot formed in the hull liner.

Cool Using the BIG screw dirver or pry bar and a wood block (3in long 2X4) as a fulcrum pry the partition’s aft end up while simultaenousely with your foot push the top of the partition out toward the cockpit. After the aft end has cleared the slot., pull the bottom of the partition up and toward you (the qtr berth) Using wood blocks secure the partition about 3 or 4 inches above the tank. The tank can now be removed thru the qtr berth.

9) Be sure the new tanks height is no higher than the old because the virtually NO clearance the bottom of the partition and the top of the tank. If this this is not the case and there is no way you can make the new tank rest lower on its mounts, you will have to remove a little off the bottom of the partition to make everything fit back together, I had to remove about 1/16 inch. The is easily accomplished before setting the new tank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Engine, Transmission and Fuel System All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: