P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index P31 Discussion Boards
Bulletin boards on subjects related to the Pearson 31

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overfilling tanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Galley and Fresh Water System
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbergelson

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Overfilling tanks Reply with quote

I've had some trouble with overfilling my water tanks. I'm thinking about buying a flowmeter that attaches to my hose for fill-up so I can get a bettern sense of when the tanks are topping off.

Today, I just sort of listen for when the air appears to "whistle" louder, indicating a higher water level. Needless to say, this approach has its flaws. The unfortunate result is an overflow onto the cabin sole (through the poorly sealed tank covers).

I would be interested to know if anyone has any ideas as to what's wrong. I saw a posting on NYPOA about filling slowly and clogged drains, but I didn't follow it.

Thanks!

Mike, S/V Jon V
Pearson 31-II #98
amos

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
I also learned the hard way about overfilling the tanks, and use the same method for filling, ie when the gurgling sound goes up in frequency stop filling. I seem to remember that the breather vent for the tank is simply a pinhole in the cover plate, which allows air in as the tank empties, but as we learned it also lets water out if the tank and fill hose are full. I am guessing that installing a vent hose that runs along the fill hose to a point higher above the tank might solve the problem. I wonder if the later model 31s have a different venting method?
'Capella', Pearson 31-II #128
CAPTBill

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P-31'ers

On my "Original" P-31 #55 I have vent hoses off of the tip of the tanks vice pinhole vents, but they will still spill to the bilge if I overfill. The bilge flushing may be preferable to getting the cabin sole soaking wet however.
mbergelson

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Vent holes Reply with quote

Bill,

Did you install the vent hoses yourself? I might try that this season. Every time I have someone else fill up my tanks for me, I'm swimming in the cabin.

Cheers,

Mike, S/V Jon V
Pearson 31-II #98
CAPTBill

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were there when I acquired DEFIANT, I'll take some photos of the installation if you like. It may not be transferable to a flight II P-31.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Galley and Fresh Water System All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: