P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index P31 Discussion Boards
Bulletin boards on subjects related to the Pearson 31

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mainsail handling: lazy jacks, dutchman, stack-pack??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Deck, Spars and Rigging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cathluk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Mainsail handling: lazy jacks, dutchman, stack-pack?? Reply with quote

We need to buy a new mainsail for our new (to us) Pearson 31. I want something to make lowering & stowing the sail easier since I already have trouble "man-handling" our Catalina 250 mainsail. ideally, we'd wait a season & get used to the boat before buying, but the boat's current main is ripped so we need to order a sail ASAP so we'll have it by spring when we bring the boat home from Annapolis. We will get a fully battened main.

The current owner has lazy jacks, but thinks they're a "pain" with the sail getting "hung up". My husband Dan isn't fond of lazy jacks either. i've seem the dutchman system on some newer Catalina's, but I've also seen the little strings running down the sails broken on most of the boats I've seen - even the new ones. The Doyle stack-pack looks interesting, but I've never seen one in person. So...

Does anyone have a "stack-pack"? What do you think of it? Any other suggestions?
ddoles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my P31-2 I have the Dutchman flaking system. It was on the boat when I bought it three years ago and I've been happy with it. The key seems to be getting the lines adjusted correctly. Once that's done, lowering the main is easy, especially when singlehanding.

Dave
disaccharide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online Proxy Checker, proxy checker, proxies checker, check proxies list, online checking proxy, check free proxies, check free proxylist, proxi checker, proxy checking, proxies list cheker, socks proxy checker, check socks proxies, socks 5 proxy checker, socks 4 proxy checker, HTTP proxy checker, socks proxy check, online check socks proxies, check list of proxies: http://www.socksproxylist.com
MikeOpal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Stackpack Reply with quote

I purchased a new Doyle main/Stackpack 2 years ago, I'm increadibly satisfied and pleased with the Stackpack. At first the sail did tend to get hung up when I raised it but now that I have a little practice it goes up in a snap without incident. I do a lot of singlehanded sailing and getting the main down has always been a challenge. With the Stackpack it's a breeze. Drop the sail and it lands 85% furled, a quick adjustment here and there and them zip it up, it's as easy as Doyle claims and faster than I had hoped. One other benefit that I hadn't planned on is visibility and head room in the cockpit. Because the Stackpack is completely on top of the boom the sailcover doesn't hang down below the boom. This sounds trivial but it probably give 5 inches more of headroom and is actually very noticable. Hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Deck, Spars and Rigging All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: