P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index P31 Discussion Boards
Bulletin boards on subjects related to the Pearson 31

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OEM cabin sole laminate: any known sources?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Deck, Spars and Rigging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscarp31

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: OEM cabin sole laminate: any known sources? Reply with quote

Has anyone found a source for the P31-2 cabin sole lamninate. which has unusual marrower measurement between the thin splines compared to other available laminates?

Other owners have reported it difficult to find in replacing age-worn soles.
pwstilletto

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to replace all of the boards in mine 3 winters ago. I used only two 4'x8' sheets. I bought them from Public Lumber for about $200/sheet. This was marine grade BS1088 1/2" thick. After several fit checks and adjustments, the job came out beautifully.

Use your old boards as the templates, getting the Holly veneers to line up between boards is quite a jigsaw puzzle, but worth the effort. It will look silly if the lines don't flow bow to stern.

I did not bother to save the teak edges on some of the removable sole boards. Instead I used red Oak from Home Depot. When the varnish is on it matches the Holly very nicely, plus very strong.

Caution, do not use the old screw holes, fill the old ones with caulk and transfer drill new ones using the boards as the template. This was a tip I picked up from someone else and it is very important. Also, do not use long screws, 3/4" c-sunk max is all you need.

You should seal the bottom/side of the boards with something rugged like a thick two part epoxy to keep moisture from penetrating. Finish top with at least 6 coats of Cetol or other quality product including the screw holes.

This is an ambitious project prepare to spend the winter, I bet I put in over 200 hours but the results were so worth it.
SummerWind P31-II Hull #114
Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Deck, Spars and Rigging All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: