P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index P31 Discussion Boards
Bulletin boards on subjects related to the Pearson 31

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil drain plug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Engine, Transmission and Fuel System
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbergelson

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Oil drain plug Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to drain the oil from the standard 18HP Yanmar diesel engine on the P31-II? I seem to have put a bit too much oil in!

Cheers,
P31-II #98
mbergelson

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw a post on an engine repair message board suggesting that the only way to pump oil out of this particular engine is with a hand pump, through the dipstick.

This makes sense, since I couldn't find (by feeling) the location of the drain plug, and the manual says nothing about it.

Can someone confirm?

For your reference, the engine message board is at http://forums.torresen.com/sailing/.
P31-II #98
amos

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can confirm, I have read it on the Yanmar website.
http://www.yanmarhelp.com/
You may have to search thru the archived messages in the forum to find it.
I use one of those 12 V oil pumps attached to 5 gal bucket that are available at many marine stores. The small suction hose goes down the dipstick hole. I have found that I change the oil much more often since I have had it.
'Capella', Pearson 31-II #128
ddoles

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amos is right. There is only one way to drain the oil and that is through the dipstick hole. I use a hand pump devise called the Topsider MVP. I bought it at West Marine. It works great. Basically the pump creates a vacuum in the recieving tank and the oil is just sucked out of the dipstick hole through a hose. I've never had more than a couple of drops of mess. It works better if you run the engine first to heat up the oil and reduce the viscosity a bit.

It is generally recommended that you change the oil at the end of every season. With this pump it is quite easy.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Engine, Transmission and Fuel System All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: