P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index P31 Discussion Boards
Bulletin boards on subjects related to the Pearson 31

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bilge Water

Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Head, Septic System and Bilge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddoles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Bilge Water Reply with quote

On my newly acquired 1990 P31-II I notice that when healing I find water on the cabin sole to leeward. I believe the water is bilge water pooling to leeward and rising to the cabin sole level. I find the water mostly near the nav station or galley, where the floor boards extend furthest outboard. I also note that the P31 seems to have a somewhat shallow bilge spread over a wide area, creating a sizeable volume of bilge water even after pumping. Has anyone experienced this, and is there any good solution?
amos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: bilge water Reply with quote

You are right, the bilge is very shallow. The only way I know of to prevent this flooding is to keep the bilge dry. Do you know how the water in the bilge gets there? I get a small amoung of leakage through the openings in the mast, but its not been enough to travel aft and onto the sole, even with all the rain this spring.
You may want to read thru the overfilling thread in the Galley and Fresh Water section of this discussion board just in case your fresh water tanks are leaking leaking.
'Capella', Pearson 31-II #128
ddoles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. I believe the water is mostly coming in from my prop shaft. There is a slow drip that I think while not overly serious is enough to fill the bilge over time. I should probably focus on fixing this drip, but I've been a bit hesitant to fuss with it for fear of making matters worse, especially while the boat is in the water. I also went down the road of overfilling water tanks. I learned from my mistake, and unfortunately too late, also from the discussion board. I think I'll try completely drying out the bilge each weekend and hope that at least keeps the floor dry when sailing.
amos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its normal for there to be a slow drip from the fitting where the shaft comes through the hull. This 'stuffing box' fitting as its called requires periodic restuffing to maintain the leak at the proper rate.

Anecdotally (sp?), its amazing how a little amount of water in the bilge can make its way onto the cabin sole and look like a lot of water on the P-31. The past weekend I saw water on the cabin sole when heeled to starboard and worried there was a leak. After tracking it down, turned out the condensate from the air conditoner in the cockpit locker that had acclumulated the night before had spilled out of its pan and drained into the little cavity where the shaft passes thru the hull From there it meandered is way under the starboard battery locker and into the cabin. The total amount of water on the sole turned out to be just a couple oz or so, but at first it looked like there was a big problem.

You may want to try, when you close up the boat for the work week, to remove the cabin sole board just aft of the mast and the one covering the access port at the foot of the cabin steps (and the drip pan underneath it) so that any water that accumulates there can evaporate. The one aft of the mast has screws to hold it down, but I think they aren't strictly needed as its not a high traffic area. Or maybe leave the cover to the stuffing box access in the quarterberth open during the week.
Hope this helps.
'Capella', Pearson 31-II #128
ddoles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my understanding that the drip from the stuffing box was normal while the shaft was turning, not necessarily all the time. This makes me feel a little better that the situation is "normal". I'll try some of your suggestions to keep the bilge dry.
RobHoss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While my bilge remains on the dry side, water that accumulates down there (about a cup per week) tastes salty. You might consider tasting the water to determine if it is salt or fresh. Fresh from rain or the water tanks or salt from the drive shaft, thru hulls, or keel. There are dripless shaft seals available.

Rob
billC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Water in bilge Reply with quote

I get aabout 3/8 in. water in my 91 P31-II after it rains. I have my shaft seal adjusted to one drip in about 20 seconds when it is turning. The amount of water that gets inside evaporates before it gets back under the engine.

I keep my bilge covers off when I am off the boat to keep it 'sweet'.

I have had a long battle with condensation and leaks from my icebox/refrigeration which has caused water to collect under the dust bin at the base of the ladder. Biggest source is small holes in the gelcoat liner of the icebox caused by air voids behind the gelcoat. When I put ice blocks in, it breaks through the gelcoat causeing a hole that then leaks. If I use the refrigeration and not ice, the cold air goes through and condensation then leaks. I plugged the holes with silicon seal and then cut up some of those interlocking plastic floor pieces that Bout US sells to take the shock of putting stuff into the icebox/refrigerator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    P31 Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Head, Septic System and Bilge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: